Being a chocoholic, of course I have to try a number of recipes including chocolate :) My favorite kind of chocolate is dark chocolate, but these little guys called Ferrero Rocher might be the next best thing. If you have never tried these chocolates, you should, like right now. They are AMAZING!!! They have different layers with different textures and all of it is a combination of chocolate with hazelnuts (yummy right?) Anyway, I decided that I should do my own version of a Ferrero Rocher Cupcake! And so I took the main ingredients: chocolate and hazelnut and then had a lightbulb moment, Nutella! After all Nutella is chocolate and hazelnuts, so perfect! I decided to bake a brown sugar hazelnut based cupcake topped with Nutella buttercream, insert some more Nutella and put a Ferrero Rocher chocolate on top :) So here it goes I hope you like it as much as I did. So let’s get started, you will need the following ingredients:
Brown sugar hazelnut cupcakes
1/4 cup of hazelnuts (you can actually use any nut you’d like)
1 tbsp of white sugar
3/4 cup of flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1/8 tsp of salt
1/4 cup of low-fat yogurt (plain or vanilla)
1/4 cup of whole milk
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
3 tbsp of unsalted butter @ room temperature
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 egg @ room temperature
1. Preheat oven at 350°F and line a cupcake pan with 8 cupcake liners.
2. Using a chopper (I recommend the Topper Chopper from Prepara Kitchen Tools) chop the hazelnuts and white sugar together and put at the bottom of each cupcake liner.
3. In a bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
4. In another bowl whisk yogurt, milk and vanilla extract and set aside.
5. In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar at medium speed for a few minutes.
6. Add the egg and mix well.
7. Add half the flour mixture and mix, then all of the yogurt mixture and mix and finally the rest of the flour mixture and mix well.
8. Pour the batter 3/4 of the way for each cupcake.
9. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
Adapted from Raspberry Eggplant
Now before going on to the buttercream, we will fill the cupcakes with some Nutella! There are special tools to do this, but I simply use the wider side of the decorating tip like this:
After taking the dough out you can pour some delicious Nutella.
1/2 cup of unsalted butter (softened)
7.5 oz of Nutella
pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp of clear vanilla extract
340 g (12 oz) of powdered sugar
3-5 tbsp of heavy cream
1. In a mixer with the whisk attachment, mix the butter and Nutella well.
2. Slowly add the powdered sugar, mixing after each addition.
3. Add salt, vanilla extract and 3 tbsp of heavy cream on low speed and then mix well.
4. Add additional heavy cream (one tbsp at a time) if needed.
Adapted from My Baking Addiction
There you go, now decorate each cupcake with the buttercream and to finish it off put a Ferrero Rocher chocolate on top! This cupcake was delicious and had different layers just like the chocolate it was inspired after, see for yourself:
From bottom to top:
– Crunchy hazelnuts layer
– Soft Brown Sugar cupcake
-Creamy Nutella filling
– Delicious Nutella buttercream
– Amazing Ferrero Rocher chocolate
Enjoy with a tall glass of cold milk!
Hope you enjoyed this recipe :)