I don’t know why I’ve been waiting to make this recipe as it is one of my favorites! There is a lot of different versions of carrot cupcakes, but this was my mom’s special recipe so I like it the best :) I often make this as a cake or as cupcakes it depends on the situation. But these right here were for a special occasion. My boyfriend’s brother turned 18 and just like me he is a sweet tooth and loves these cupcakes and so I decided what a better gift than these cupcakes topped off with delicious cream cheese frosting! So let’s get started, you will need the following ingredients:
3 cups of white flour
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
pinch of salt
3 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
2 cups of carrots
1 cup of nuts *optional
2 cups of raisins *optional
The last two ingredients I actually never use but my mom’s original recipe has them so you can give it a try :)
1. Preheat oven at 350°F. Grease a cake mold with butter or line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients: flour, nutmeg, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.
3. Mix the eggs with an electric mixer until they become fluffy.
4. Slowly add the vegetable oil to the eggs and mix well.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix well.
6. Grate enough carrots to have 2 cups and then add them to the mix with a spoon.
7. If you decide to use nuts and raisins add them to the mix.
8. Put them in the designated molds by filling the cake pan or each individual cupcake 3/4 of the way. They will look like this:
Notice that the top cupcakes at the left corner have a toothpick in them. Well that is because my aunt’s dog Tea loves carrots and she loves these cupcakes. However, these are specially made for her because I didn’t include any sugar :)
9. Bake for about 45 minutes if you are baking the cake and no more than 30 minutes for cupcakes. The cupcakes will come out looking like this:
Cream cheese frosting
2 packages of Philadelphia’s 8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup of unsalted butter
2 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Tip: it is better to do this frosting either before you bake the cupcakes or after the kitchen is cool enough.
1. Mix the cream cheese and butter in a mixer.
2. Add the vanilla extract (if you want the frosting to be whiter, then use clear vanilla extract).
3. Add the powdered sugar and mix well.
Finally decorate the cake or each cupcake with any technique you’d like and voila!
Hope you enjoyed this recipe :)